10 Tips for Mental Health
At this time of year, especially, when the days grow shortand the evenings long, it is a good time to take stock of our mental andemotional health. Mahatma Gandhi said that, "It is health that is real wealthand not pieces of silver and gold."
10 Tips for Maintaining Mental and Emotional Health
- Maintain good physical health- Our physical health affects our emotional health much more than most realize. It is important to make sure to eat well, exercise and get plenty of sleep.
- Learn to release anger and let go of grudges- Vent if you have to. Harboring anger or ill feelings builds emotional toxicity, which ultimately affects your overall health.
- Be aware- Look for the hidden message in negative or difficult situations. Learn from those situations.
- Keep your brain active- Don't let complacency or boredom set in. In order to feel alive and vibrant we need to keep our minds active by learning new things and challenging ourselves.
- Stimulate your senses- Enjoy beautiful art, listen to music that lifts your spirits or try a new gourmet dish. People's senses need to be awakened every now and then too.
- Have fun and don't take yourself too seriously- Balance in life is important for maintaining emotional health. Too much emphasis on work causes stress as well as wear and tear on the body and mind.
- Maintain supportive relationships- Maintain a good relationship with friends and family for much needed feedback, a shoulder to lean on or a different perspective. Having an objective pair of eyes can give you a whole new way of thinking.
- Donate old clothes, furniture or items you don't use anymore to your local charity- It will make you feel good, first by helping someone out and secondly by cleaning out your closets and basements of 'stuff' you haven't used in a long time.
- Take some yoga classes, learn to meditate or incorporate a relaxation technique into your routine- Besideshaving fun and not taking yourself too seriously, it's a good idea to integrateanother relaxation strategy into your routine for those times when life getssomewhat overwhelming. Having many methods to fall back on ensures emotionalwell-being.
- Learn to savor and appreciate the moment- In those times caught up in the whirlwind of life we're not worrying about the future.
For more information about relieving stress, go to http://www.tworiverspublichealth.com/.
Tips from EssentialLifeSkills.net.