Beef and Barley Soup
The day before in Crock-Pot, place:
- 1 pound beef bones (oxtail is the best)
- 8-10 cups water
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 c. celery
- 1/2 c. onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 drops Tabasco sauce, optional
Cook on high until the broth begins to simmer, then reduce the Crock-Pot setting to low and continue to cook for 6 to 8 hours. Turn off the Crock-Pot and allow the broth to cool overnight. Remove the beef bones from the broth. Discard the bones. Strain broth into a large bowl and set aside.
Beef and Barley Soup:
In a Crock-Pot on high, saute until golden brown, approximately 30 minutes:
- 2 tbs butter
- 1/4 c. celery, finely chopped
- 1/4 c. onions, finely chopped
Add and cook thoroughly on high, approximately 30 minutes:
- 1/2 pound round steak, diced
- 1/4 tsp parsley
- 1/2 tsp tarragon
- sprinkled lightly with salt and white pepper
Sautéing the steak before adding the liquid gives additional flavor and color.
Add to above mixture and cook until crisp tender, approximately 30 minutes:
- 2 to 3 peeled and diced medium carrots
- 2 to 3 peeled and diced medium red potatoes
Add, and ring to a boil:
- 8 c. strained beef stock (see above for recipe)
Add and bring to a boil:
- 1/2 c. pearled barley
Allow it to simmer on high until barley is cooked, approximately 30 to 60 minutes.
Add 1/2 hour before serving:
- 1 c. frozen peas or 1 (15-ounce) can sweet peas
Place the Crock-Pot on low until ready to serve. If te soup becomes too thick and add more broth or water.
- This recipe can be done in a large pan on the stove.
- Broth can be from drippings from other beef dishes.