In a Crock-Pot on high, sauté until golden bro
- 2 tbs butter
- 1/4 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup onions, finely chopped
Add and cook thoroughly on high:
- 1 or 2 skinless, boneless and slightly thawed chicken breasts, diced
- 1/4 tsp parsley
- 1/2 tsp tarragon, sprinkled lightly with salt and white pepper
Sautéing the chicken breasts before adding the liquid gives additional flavor and color. Slightly thawed chicken breasts are easier to finely dice.
Add, bring to a boil: 8 cups strained and defatted chicken stock
Add and bring to a boil:
- 1/2 cup pearled barley
- 2 to 3 peeled and diced medium carrots
- 2 to 3 peeled and diced medium potatoes
Allow it to simmer on high until barley is cooked, approximately 30-60 minutes.
Add 1/2 hour before serving: 1 cup frozen peas or 1 (15 ounce) can sweet peas. Place the Crock-Pot on low until ready to serve. If the soup becomes too thick, then add more broth or water.
Options: This recipe can be done in a large pan on the stove. Broth can be from dripping from other chicken dishes.