- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 8 tablespoons orange juice
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. With a pastry blender or a large fork, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the chocolate chips. Mix in the orange juice to form a dough.
3. Turn out the dough on a floured surface. Pat or roll into a 9 inch circle about 1/2 inch thick. With a 2 1/2 inch fluted biscuit cutter, cut out 8 scones. Transfer the scones to the baking sheet.
4. Bake in preheated oven until golden brown, about 12 minutes. Move to wire racks to cool.
5. If desired, glaze with powdered sugar mixed with a little orange juice.