Cities Prepare for Fourth of July Holiday
Independence Day is approaching and cities across the country are setting hours for when the discharge of fireworks will be allowed.
The Kearney Fire Department has set the dates and times individuals can discharge fireworks within the city limits.
Fireworks can be discharged from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. June 29 through July 2 and 8 a.m. to midnight on July 3 and 4.
The hours to discharge fireworks vary slightly in Grand Island. Fireworks are allowed to be discharged from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. June 28 through July 2; 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. July 3; and 8 a.m. to midnight on July 4.
The city of Kearney wants to remind its citizens to:
- Always buy fireworks from established retail stands.
- Look out for individuals experimenting with homemade fireworks or modifying fireworks.
- Have a responsible adult in charge.
- Never give fireworks to children or leave children alone with fireworks and matches/lighters.
- Respect the rights of others by following state laws and local ordinances when using fireworks.
The Kearney Volunteer Fire Department urges everyone to be smart, responsible and safe this Fourth of July holiday.