Grand Island firefighters were on the run Thursday, with a pair of fires at construction sites -- a new retail store, and the State Fair's new building.
Crews were on the roof of a pet store under construction, next to Shoe Carnival and Dress Barn on State Street, just north of the Conestoga Mall.
Workers were doing some cutting on the roof, and that appears to be the source of the fire, according to Chief Cory Schmidt.
He said, "Through that process the insulation in a void area caught on fire. We had to use our aerial to gain access to the roof, and crews are currently trying to cut open a section of roof to stop the spread of the fire."
Just before that call, they responded to the Nebraska State Fair grounds where they said a propane tank caught on fire. That was at the site of the new Nebraska Building. Firefighters say it quickly burned out.
Meanwhile, at the strip mall, they encouraged the next door business, Shoe Carnival, to turn customers away as a precaution until they were assured the fire would not spread.