Crisis Center Staff in Jeans Raise Sexual Assault Awareness
Grand Island – CrisisCenterstaff members will be celebrating casual Friday throughout the month of April, sportingcomfortable jeans in an effort to raise awareness about an uncomfortablesubject.
The staff settled on jeans because Aprilis Sexual Assault Awareness Month and Denim Day is April 23rd.
Denim Day was started after anItalian Supreme Court Justice said he overturned a rape conviction because "thevictim wore very, very tight jeans, she had to help him remove them, and byremoving the jeans it was no longer rape but consensual sex."
This month the Crisis Center hopesto raise awareness on sexual assault and rape and let residents know about theservices they provide.
The Crisis Center, serving Hamilton,Howard, Merrick and Hall counties, provides:
- Rape kits to collect needed evidence for sexual assault prosecution
- Professional counseling for rape and incest survivors
- Peer support/education groups for sexual assault and domestic violence survivors
The Centerbelieves that an entire month of awareness is needed because of how often sexualassaults and rapes happen and how few rapists actually see the inside of acell.
- Everytwo minutes, another American is sexually assaulted
- Thereis an average of 237,868 victims (age 12 or older) of sexual assault each year
- 97%of rapists will never spend a day in jail
- 38%of rapists are a friend or acquaintance
Moreinformation on Denim Day can be found on their website, http://denimdayusa.org/.