With temperatures and moisture dropping across the state, drivers need to, once again, be cautious.
A few driving tips to remember:
- To avoid skids, brake carefully and gently "squeeze" brakes in slow, steady strokes.
- Allow wheels to keep rolling.
If your rear wheels do start to skid:
- Turn the steering wheel in the direction you want the front wheels to go.
- Do not slam on the brake pedal, braking hard will make the skid worse
If the front wheels start to skid:
- Take foot off gas, shift to neutral
- Don't try to steer immediately
- As wheels skid sideways, they will slow the vehilce and traction will return. As it does, steer in the direction you want to go.