Nebraska Treasurer Don Stenberg has announced the opening of the "Why I Want to Go to College" essay contest for seventh and eight graders.
Winners of the contest will receive contributions to Nebraska's state-sponsored 529 college savings plans. They will also be recognized at the May 19 Omaha Storm Chasers Game.
"The essay contest has been aneffective way for seventh and eighth graders to reflect on the value of acollege education and to think about how they and their families will pay forcollege," Stenberg said. "Past winners have displayed a depthof understanding of the value of higher education. Their essays have beenhonest and genuine and have focused on their families, their career goals, andtheir desire to serve their communities."
"Why IWant to Go to College" essays are due April 5. The essays will be judged byfaculty and students at the University of Nebraska- Omaha College of Education. Final selections will be made by Treasurer Stenberg.
Winners will beannounced in early May. Three winners will be chosen in each of Nebraska'sthree U.S. congressional districts, and three winners will be selected fromoutside Nebraska.
Winnersfrom Nebraska will receive tickets to the Omaha Storm Chasers baseball game onMay 19. First-place winners also will each receive a $3,500 contribution to aNebraska college savings plan and a one-night hotel stay in Omaha.
Second-placewinners will each receive a $1,000 contribution to a college savings plan, andthird-place winners will each receive a $500 contribution to a college savingsplan. Winners from outside Nebraska will receive contributions to Nebraskacollege savings plans.
The following guidelines apply to the essay contest:
- The essay must be no longer than 750 words.
- The essay must be the student's original work.
- The essay must typed, double spaced on 8 ½ X 11-inch paper.
- The essay must be accompanied with the required cover sheet. Rules and cover sheetinformation can be found at www.treasurer.org. Click on the College Savings Plan link.
- Essays are to be sent to the Omaha Storm Chasers, Attn: Andrea Stava, 12356 Ballpark Way, Papillion, NE 68046, postmarked by April 5.
The contest is sponsored by the Nebraska State Treasurer's Office and the Omaha Storm Chasers baseball team.