MENU

      Fire Officials: Kearney Homeowner's Quick Reaction Prevented More Damage

      25052161_BG1.jpg
      25052161_BG1.jpg

      Kearney fire officials said the quick thinking of a homeowner kept a fire from spreading Sunday.

      Kearney Volunteer Fire Assistant Chief Tacha said no one was at home when the fire started, but when a resident came home and smelled smoke, she opened the front door and quickly closed it.

      Officials said that prevented more oxygen from spreading the fire.

      Firefighters said it started in the downstairs bathroom and was caused by a short in the exhaust fan.

      Fire crews contained the blaze in about 13 minutes, but damage totaled about $35,000.

      Forty-one firefighters responded as well as the American Red Cross, who is offering assistance to the three residents.

      No injuries were reported.

      component-story-more_media_horiz-v1-01
      FOLLOW US ON TWITTER