MENU

      Firefighters Say Cat's Part of Family as they Rescue Pet from Fire

      24882586_BG1.jpg
      24882586_BG1.jpg

      With two family members left behind in a burning apartment home, everyday heroes spring into action, even though these family members were the four-legged kind.

      Attacking the fire quickly with foam and a ladder truck, Grand Island firefighters quickly got the situation under control.

      However, they learned two cats were inside. One was lost to the smoke and fire. But firefighters didn't give up, giving oxygen to another one of the cats.

      Fire Chief Cory Schmidt said they didn't think twice about it.

      "Another family member, we like to take care of our family in Grand Island. Any pet, any person we can help, we're willing to do that, part of our job," he said.

      The cat was reunited with its owner, who was clearly emotional after losing one cat, but seeing this one saved.

      Firefighters credit a new foam system for helping them quickly control this fire before it spread. All four Grand Island fire stations responded to the fire on South Cleburn Street on Tuesday morning.

      Capt. Bryan Stutzman, the shift commander said a space heater plugged into an extension cord was most likely to blame.

      Stutzman said the heater pulls too many amps for a thing extension cord, so it overheated and melted into the carpet. Clothing, and a mattress also caught on fire.

      The house contains five apartments, four of which have tenants. However, no one was home at the time of the fire. It was reported by a resident.

      component-story-more_media_horiz-v1-01
      FOLLOW US ON TWITTER