Traditional Fresh Pesto
All you need:
- 2 c. fresh basil leaves, packed
- ½ . fresh grated parmesan-Reggiano or Romano cheese
- ½ c. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 c. pine nuts or walnuts
- 3 medium-sized garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.
All you do:
- Place the nuts in a food processor and pulse a few times. Add basil and pulse again. Add the garlic, pulse a few more times.
- Slowly add the olive oil in a constant stream while the food processor is on. Stop to scrape down the sides of the food processor with a rubber spatula. Add the grated cheese and pulse again until blended. Add a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Serving suggestions for pesto:
- Serve on pasta
- On baked potatoes or even tossed with baby potatoes and baked.
- To make yummy brushetta or crostini
- A great substitution for sauce on pizza
- Use on sandwiches instead of mayonnaise