A Grand Island family is without a home after a fire destroyed part of it Saturday night.
Grand Island Fire Department shift commander Scott Kuehl said a woman was inside at the time and called 911, but was out safely by the time crews arrived around 10:30 p.m.
The neighborhood around State Street and Sherman Ave. filled with smoke, and firefighters said they could see flames in the front and back window of the split level home when they got on scene.
Kuehl said GIFD was still investigating, but believe some kind of electrical problem started the accidental fire. He said the family room where the flames were was ruined and smoke damaged the rest of the home, so the two people living there had to stay elsewhere.
The Red Cross was helping the residents, Kuehl said, and no one was hurt.
Grand Island Police also responded, blocking off streets so firefighters could run hose to a nearby hydrant.
Kuehl said crews from all four stations were dispatched and a recall issued for more personnel to help staff the shift.