Update: Man Accused of Stabbing Estranged Girlfriend Outside GI Cathedral


Violence erupts at a house of worship, as Grand Island police investigate a stabbing at St. Mary's Cathedral.

Two people were taken to the hospital in a chaotic scene. Dozens of police officers descended upon the cathedral just before noon. Blood stains were visible on the pavement, as police comforted those at the church.

Around 6:00 Friday night, police released the identities of those involved.

Police Capt. Kerry Mehlin said the victim is Mirna B. Medina-Colocho, 33, Grand Island.

41-year-old Aslin C. Nabarro is the suspect.

Mehlin said the early indication is that Nabarro is the estranged boyfriend of Medina-Colocho and contacted her in the St. Mary's Cathedral parking lot.

The couple got into an argument and police say Nabarro pulled a knife and began stabbing Medina-Colocho in the upper torso and head up to 20 times.

Nabarro apparently then self-inflicted a deep cut to his throat and fled the scene collapsing less than a block to the east in an alley.

Both parties underwent surgery at St. Francis Medical Center. Nabarro is in custody and the investigation is ongoing.

It was a chaotic scene.

Sgt. Ellis Collins unfurled a roll of crime scene tape around the cathedral as church bells rang out, but only after the sound of sirens filled the air.

Father Sorensen, the parish priest, says the daycare across the parking lot was not affected. He says kids were safe there and not involved.

Officers closed the street, as they collected evidence.

It's the second stabbing is as many months in Grand Island. Just this week, the city council approved a plan that will ultimately add ten police to the force over two years.

Father Sorensen took to Twitter, urging people to pray.

"St. Mary's is a place of prayer and peace and services will continue," he said.

Police said the investigation is ongoing.

Both the victim and suspect were listed in stable condition as of Friday night, according to St. Francis Medical Center.