Mike Flood Says He's Not Back in Race for Governor
Mike Flood says "nothing's changed" in his decision to end his campaign for governor, as his wife undergoes treatment for breast cancer.
Flood and his wife Mandi attended the Cattlemen's Ball between Paxton and Sutherland on Saturday night.
Following the public appearance, the blog Leavenworth Street reported that Flood "WILL run for the Republican Nomination for Nebraska Governor in 2014."
The former speaker of the legislature denies making that decision, in a post on Facebook.
"Imagine our surprise on the way home when bloggers announced that we announced a return to the race for Governor. Nothing's changed up here," he wrote.
He concluded, "Mandi sees the radiation oncologist Wednesday to prepare for the final step. She feels great and we're focused on her recovery. Thank you for all the calls and kind words. Hope all is well with you."
Flood ended his bid for governor in December, saying family comes first.
"Now it's time for me to take care of my family. This week my wife Mandi was diagnosed with breast cancer. I am going home to Norfolk to take care of her and our boys Brenden and Blake," he said at the time.
He had been considered a strong candidate for governor, coming off an eight year term in the legislature, where he served as speaker.
Flood lives in Norfolk. He is a lawyer and radio station owner.