Cozad Police Chief Randy Adams has identified the man found dead inside the fire damaged mobile home as 45-year-old Fred Waltermire.
Fire and rescue crews were called to the home on Birch Lane around 1 a.m. Tuesday. They arrived to find the home already engulfed in flames and filled with smoke.
A nine-year-old girl was also inside. She was taken from the home and was later flown to the University of Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha where she was in critical condition, according to the girl's mother.
Additionally, two people who tried to rescue Waltermire and the girl had to be treated for smoke inhalation.
The State Fire Marshall's Office is investigating. Officials do not suspect foul play.
**UPDATE 9:27 PM 7/9/2014**
The Fire Department thinks a simple mistake may have caused the deadly blaze.
"Fire marshal just told me it was just careless disposal of smokey material in a trash can. Cigarettes they dumped an ashtray in a trash can and it smoldered and they went to bed," said Cozad Fire Chief Steve Bihlmaier.