Record Amount of Money Given to Nebraska Lotto Beneficiaries Following Large Jackpot
The large Powerball jackpot last November is being credited with having a part in the biggest amount of money the Nebraska Lottery's beneficiary fund has seen yet.
A total of $10,260,110, derived froma share of Scratch and Lotto ticket sales from the previous three months, was the largest amount to be transferred since the Lottery was established in 1993.
The money wasdistributed the week of December 28, 2012 and was doled out in the following way:
- Education Innovation Fund: $2,026,372;
- Nebraska Opportunity Grant Fund: $2,539,377;
- Nebraska Environmental Trust Fund: $4,565,749;
- Nebraska State Fair Support and Improvement Fund: $1,026,011;and
- Compulsive Gamblers Assistance Fund: $102,601.
This transfer exceeded the previousrecord of $10,071,052 transferred as recently as June 2012.
Nebraska Lottery Director JimHaynes attributed the transfer amount to a record $587.5 million Powerballjackpot in November 2012, and strong Scratch ticket sales throughout thequarter.
"Powerball is designed to generate large jackpots, and ticket sales increaseas the jackpot rises," said Haynes. "Increased sales mean that more money isavailable for our beneficiary funds. We're extremely pleased to have anotherrecord transfer because of the benefits for our state."
Every county in Nebraska hasreceived service through grants funded with Nebraska Lottery proceeds. Projectsthat use these proceeds range from critical habitat protection for wildlife andgrants to Nebraska college students to enhancements to facilities at theNebraska State Fair and assistance for problem gamblers.
"We want each one ofour players to know that when they purchase a Nebraska Lottery ticket, all ofNebraska reaps the rewards," said Haynes.
A total of $468,793,934 has beendistributed in quarterly transfers since the Nebraska Lottery began operationon September 11, 1993. The funds' respective totals to date are:
- Education Innovation Fund: $147,146,367;
- Nebraska Opportunity Grant Fund: $66,998,196;
- Nebraska Environmental Trust Fund: $195,683,566;
- Nebraska State Fair Support and Improvement Fund: $24,431,869;and
- Compulsive Gamblers Assistance Fund: $11,072,940.
In addition to those amounts, prior to July 1, 1997, the SolidWaste Landfill Closure Assistance Fund received proceeds totaling $18,460,996; and in 2004, the Legislature directed that a one-time transfer of $5 million bemade to the State General Fund.