Send Cards to Soldiers this Holiday Season
Congressman Adrian Smith is helping to collect cards for the Red Cross Holiday Mail for Heroes program, which gives Americans the opportunity to send holiday greetings and thanks to service members, veterans and their families around the world.
"As the holiday season approaches, I encourage all Nebraskans to join me in thanking those who have defended our nation in uniform by participating in the Holiday Mail for Heroes program," said Smith. "This tradition is a wonderful opportunity for families, schools, and local communities to show their support for our troops and our veterans."
Smith's district offices in Scottsbluff and Grand Island will serve as collection points for citizens to drop off postage free cards until Monday, Dec. 3.
To ensure cards reach their destination, the following guidelines apply:
- Ensure all cards are signed.
- Use generic salutations such as "To American Hero." Cards addressed to specific individuals cannot be delivered through this program.
- Only cards are being accepted. Do not send or include letters.
- Do not include email or home addresses on the cards: the program is not meant to foster pen pal relationships.
- Do not include inserts of any kind, including photos: these items will be removed during the reviewing process.
- Please refrain from choosing cards with glitter or using loose glitter as it can aggravate health issues of ill and injured warriors.
- If you are mailing a large quantity of cards, please bundle them and place them in large mailing envelopes or flat rate postal shipping boxes. Each card does not need its own envelope, as envelopes will be removed from all cards before distribution.
All holiday greetings should be dropped off at either of Smith's offices or addressed and sent to:Holiday Mail for Heroes P.O. Box 5456 Capitol Heights, MD 20791-5456
The deadline for sending cards by mail is Friday, Dec. 7.
For more information and guidelines for the Holiday Mail for Heroes Program, go to http://adriansmith.house.gov/holiday-mail-heroes-program.