Staying Safe on the Fourth of July
Two Rivers Public Health Department is sharing some tips that will help keep those celebrating the Fourth of July holiday as safe as possible.
Hereare a few safety tips from the National Council on Fireworks Safety:
- Always read and follow label directions.
- Have an adult present.
- Don't give fireworks to small children.
- Buy from reliable sellers.
- Use outdoors only.
- Always have water handy (a garden hoseand a bucket).
- Never experiment, make your ownfireworks, or alter purchased ones.
- Light only one firework at a time.
- Never re-light a "dud"firework (wait 15 to 20 minutes and then soak it in a bucket of water).
- If necessary, store fireworks in a cool,dry place.
- Dispose of fireworks properly by soakingthem in water and then disposing of them in your trash can.
- Never throw or point fireworks at otherpeople.
- Never carry fireworks in your pocket.
- Never shoot fireworks in metal or glasscontainers.
- The shooter should always wear eyeprotection and never have any part of the body over the firework.
- Stay away from illegal explosives.
- Alcohol and Fireworks do not mix. Have a "designated shooter".