Two Rivers Public Health Department is sharing some tips that will help keep those celebrating the Fourth of July holiday as safe as possible.
Hereare a few safety tips from the National Council on Fireworks Safety:
- Always read and follow label directions.
- Have an adult present.
- Don't give fireworks to small children.
- Buy from reliable sellers.
- Use outdoors only.
- Always have water handy (a garden hoseand a bucket).
- Never experiment, make your ownfireworks, or alter purchased ones.
- Light only one firework at a time.
- Never re-light a "dud"firework (wait 15 to 20 minutes and then soak it in a bucket of water).
- If necessary, store fireworks in a cool,dry place.
- Dispose of fireworks properly by soakingthem in water and then disposing of them in your trash can.
- Never throw or point fireworks at otherpeople.
- Never carry fireworks in your pocket.
- Never shoot fireworks in metal or glasscontainers.
- The shooter should always wear eyeprotection and never have any part of the body over the firework.
- Stay away from illegal explosives.
- Alcohol and Fireworks do not mix. Have a "designated shooter".