On The Menu - Whispering Pines
Jeanna M. Stavas, Innkeeper
Whispering Pines Bed and Breakfast
2018 6th Ave.
• 1 15-19 oz can chickpeas (~ 2 cups), drained
• 1 small onion, chopped
• 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
• 1 tablespoons of fresh parsley, chopped
• 1 tablespoons of fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
• 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon coriander
• 1 teaspoon cumin
• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
• salt and pepper
• 2 tablespoons olive oil for pan frying
Preheat oven to 375.
Mash chickpeas with fork, potato masher or pulse in food processor, until blended but not pureed. Add onions, garlic, and herbs and blend until incorporated. Add remaining ingredients to make a thick paste-like consistency. You want to add enough flour so that the dough forms a small ball and no longer sticks to your hands. Turn into a bowl and refrigerate, covered, for several hours*. (this makes dough easier to work with, but is not required)
Shape into ping pong or walnut size balls**. Place in mini muffin tins or on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 20 minutes until crisp on the outside.
**Option to shape into patties and pan fry in a lightly oiled skillet for about 3-4 minutes on each side
Serve as appetizer with Tzatziki Sauce or stuff in a pita with diced tomatoes, onions, green peppers and sauce.
• 1 ½ cups plain yogurt (any type will work)
• ½ large cucumber, grated with a cheese grater
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• 1 tablespoon fresh dill, finely chopped (or 1 teaspoon of dried dill)
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1. Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Can be served immediately, but it is even better if you let it sit for a few hours or overnight before serving.
Upcoming Events at Whispering Pines
• Food and the Arts: Brunch and a Song this weekend: we’ll host brunch and a touring musician for an afternoon show https://bbwhisperingpines.com/blog/event/brunch-song-mark-stuart/?instance_id=106
• Spring Break Special for Educators: Special rewards for those in education – March 11 – 24. https://bbwhisperingpines.com/specials/educators-spring-break-special/
• Quilter’s Shop Hop Postcards from Nebraska: We think quilters and Bed and Breakfasts go together Falafel Segments