- 3/4 lbs. uncooked turkey sausage, spicy-variety, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green peppers, chopped
- 1 28-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 10-oz. frozen green peas, thawed
- 2 Tbsp canned tomato paste
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp fennel seed
- 1/2 tsp table salt, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 12 oz. uncooked whole-wheat pasta, ziti, cooked according to package directions
- 6 oz. part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
Position oven rack in center of oven and preheat to 350 degrees.
Crumble sausage meat into a large saucepan and brown over medium heat, stirring often, about 4 minutes.
Drain off any fat, then add the onion and bell pepper. Cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes.
Stir in tomatoes, peas, tomato paste, oregano, basil, thyme, fennel
seeds, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat and cook
uncovered 5 minutes, stirring often.
Stir in cooked pasta and half the cheese. Spread evenly into a 9x13-inch baking pan. Top evenly with remaining cheese.
Bake until cheese has melted and casserole is bubbling, about 20
minutes. Let stand 10 minutes at room temperature before slicing into 8