Beef Chili Con Carne with Southwestern Cornbread Muffins
Beef Chili Con Carne
- 1-2/3 oz. green bell peppers, chopped
- 1-2/3 oz. onions, finely chopped
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 pound ground beef, 80/20, raw
- 1/8 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup tomato puree, canned
- 1/8 oz. beef base
- 1-1/2 cup hot water
- 1/8 oz. granulated sugar
- 1/8 oz. light chili powder
- 1 lb. dark red kidney beans, canned (including liquids)
Brown meat either in oven or on grill. To
brown meat on grill, add meat, salt, pepper and Onions. Cook until meat
is browned but not thoroughly cooked. Internal temperature must reach
160 degrees. To brown meat in oven, combine meat, salt and pepper in
heavy roasting pan and cook uncovered at 425 degrees for 10 minutes, or
at 375 degrees in a convection oven for 7-10 minutes, or until browned,
but not thoroughly cooked.
Transfer browned, drained meat mixture
to steam jacketed kettle. Add tomato puree, bean juice, beef base, hot
water, sugar and chili powder; heat to boiling point. Internal
temperature must reach 160 degrees.
Reduce heat and add kidney beans. Simmer for 20-30 minutes.
Remove from kettle and keep hot for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- your favorite cornbread box mix
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 9 oz. plain, fat-free yogurt
- 12 oz. frozen whole-kernel corn
- 4 oz. canned diced green chili peppers, drained
- 1 cup plain yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 8 sprays cooking spray
Combine ingredients and cook according to cornbread box mix directions.