- 1 pound dry penne - regular or whole wheat
- 8 cups broccoli - cut into florets
- 20 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts - cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cups chicken broth - low sodium
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Parmigiano reggiano and fresh basil - optional garnish
1. Bring a large pot of salty water to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions.
2. Two minutes before the pasta is done cooking, add the broccoli to the same pot cooking the pasta.
3. Drain the pasta and broccoli and return to pan; set aside.
4. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add cooking spray. Sprinkle cubed chicken breasts with salt and chili flakes. Add to pan and brown, 7-9 minutes. Remove chicken from pan and reserve.
5. Leaving the pan on medium-high, add white wine and use wooden spoon to deglaze pan by scraping up the browned bits from the bottom. Bring to a boil then reduce to simmer.
6. Add butter to the pan and heat until melted. Stir in lemon juice and chicken broth then simmer for additional minute or two.
7. Add reserved chicken and any juices formed back to the pot with the pasta and broccoli. Stir in lemon butter sauce and toss well. Check for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
8. Stir in olive oil before dividing between 6 plates. Serve with plenty of Parmigiano reggiano and fresh basil.