Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 3-4 smoked chicken breasts, diced
- 1 toe elephant garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 small-medium jalapeno, minced
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- corn or flour tortillas, fried or baked, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 heaping tsp ground cumin
- 1 cup margarita mix
- 4 oz. tequila
- 8 oz. lime juice
- 1-2 quarts fairly stout chicken broth
- 1/2 cup instant corn masa flock
- 1 roasted bell pepper, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, finely diced
- 8 oz. heavy cream
- 12 oz. half and half
- 1 quart milk
- 2 pints water
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine
Combine butter and masa in large saucepan
or pot. Stir until well combined over medium-high heat. Continue to
move mixture around until slightly golden brown.
Add onions. Cook until transparent.
Add garlic. Saute 1 minute.
Add bell pepper and celery. Stir briefly.
Add all liquids (including tequila and margarita mix) and bring to a
boil. Quickly reduce heat to medium-high.
Allow to cook by reducing heat to medium.
If soup thickens too much, loosen with hot water. Cook over medium
heat, about 20 minutes.
Stir in chicken, cumin and cinnamon, adjusting flavors to your liking by adding more or less of the spices.
Serve in a soup bowl and sprinkle with Mexican cheese, a dollop of sour cream, diced tomatoes and tortilla strips.