- 2 lbs. beef (chuck, shank or any part you want), cut into ¼
- 1 can (560 g) coconut milk/cream
- 8 cups water
- 1 oz. tamarind paste (soak in 1 cup hot water, reserve the
- 2 star anises
- 3 pieces of galangal
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 tablespoon cooking oil
- salt to taste
- sugar to taste
- 2 pieces Kaffir Lime leaves
- 1 lemongrass (cut into 4 pieces)
- 1 onion
- 6 cloves garlic
- 5 candlenuts
- 1 tablespoon chili paste, optional (add more if desired)
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
1. Combine onion, garlic, candlenuts in a food processor or
blender into smooth paste.
2. Heat cooking oil in a wok/pot. Add the spice paste,
coriander, cumin, white pepper, star anises, galangal, cinnamon stick, kaffir
lime leaves, and lemongrass. Cook for 5 minutes or until fragrant.
3. Add beef and stir well for 5-10 minutes.
4. Add coconut milk/cream and tamarind water. Let cook until the broth start to thicken up, stir well, check the beef tenderness,
add water 2 cups at a time and stir once and a while.
5. Let cook for 3-4 hours and add water every time the broth
is thickening up and the beef is not yet tender. Keep stirring once
and a while. Reduce heat.
6. After about 4 hours, keep stirring. Savory aroma starts to
come out, let the broth thicken up until it's nearly dry and oily. Turn off the heat.
Enjoy it with warm steamed rice and steamed vegetables.