Donors urged to give blood, help blood supply match patient diversity
The American Red Cross is urging people of all races and ethnicities to give blood to help ensure a diverse blood supply for patients in need.
The vast majority of blood types fall into one of the major ABO groups. However, some blood types are unique to certain racial and ethnic groups, so a diverse blood supply is important to meeting the medical needs of an increasingly diverse patient population.
Twelve-year-old Braden Green required blood transfusions to treat complications from sickle cell disease. “It saved his life, that blood transfusion,” said his mom, Brenda Green. “A blood donation can give a patient another chance at life or an opportunity to get through the day.”
Blood given to patients with rare blood types or those who need repeated transfusions for conditions such as sickle cell disease or thalassemia must be matched very closely. Patients are less likely to have complications from blood donated by someone with a similar racial or ethnic background.
All blood types are needed to ensure that the right blood product is available at the right time for all patients. Make an appointment to donate blood by downloading the free American Red Cross Blood Donor App, visiting RedCrossBlood.org or calling 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767).
As a thank-you, those who come to donate blood or platelets through Sept. 30, 2018, will receive a coupon via email for a free haircut at participating Sport Clips locations. More information is available at RedCrossBlood.org/sport-clips.
Upcoming blood donation opportunities Sept. 16-30:
- Hastings: 9/18/2018: 9 a.m. - 3 p.m., Hastings College Hazelrigg Hall, E. 9th St.
- Hastings: 9/20/2018: 12 p.m. - 6 p.m., First Congregational Church, 2810 W. 7th St.
- Hastings: 9/20/2018: 12 p.m. - 6 p.m., New Hope Baptist Church, 1204 W. 5th St.
- Hastings: 9/27/2018: 12 p.m. - 6 p.m., First Congregational Church, 2810 W. 7th St.
- Hastings: 9/28/2018: 12 p.m. - 5 p.m., Hastings Family YMCA, 1430 W. 16th St
- Kenesaw: 9/20/2018: 12 p.m. - 6 p.m., United Methodist Church, 208 N. Doane Ave.
- Kearney: 9/17/2018: 12 p.m. - 6 p.m., Ft. Kearney Chapter, 520 W. 48th
- Kearney: 9/20/2018: 12 p.m. - 6 p.m., Ft. Kearney Chapter, 520 W. 48th
- Kearney: 9/24/2018: 12 p.m. - 6 p.m., Ft. Kearney Chapter, 520 W. 48th
- Kearney: 9/27/2018: 12 p.m. - 6 p.m., Ft. Kearney Chapter, 520 W. 48th
- Cozad: 9/18/2018: 10 a.m. - 5:30 p.m., Catholic Parish Hall, 613 W. 13th
- Sumner: 9/19/2018: 12 p.m. - 6 p.m., Community Building, 5th and Main
- Geneva: 9/28/2018: 11 a.m. - 5 p.m., United Methodist Church, 942 H Street
- Milligan: 9/21/2018: 11 a.m. - 5 p.m., American Legion, 541 Main Street
- Grand Island: 9/17/2018: 10 a.m. - 4 p.m., Tom Dinsdale Automotive, 3312 W Stolley Park RD
- Grand Island: 9/19/2018: 8:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m., Heartland Lutheran High School, 3900 W Husker Hwy
- Aurora: 9/24/2018: 11:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m., United Methodist Church, 1104 A Street
- Aurora: 9/25/2018: 11:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m., United Methodist Church, 1104 A Street
- Giltner: 9/26/2018: 11:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m., Giltner Public School, 2 West 6 Rd
- Minden: 9/20/2018: 12:30 p.m. - 6 p.m., Westminster United Presbyterian Church, 109 N. Colorado Ave
- Holdrege: 9/26/2018: 11 a.m. - 5 p.m., Agricultural Center, 1302 2nd Street
- Red Cloud: 9/24/2018: 11:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m., Community Center, 142 W.3rd Avenue
- Henderson: 9/26/2018: 9 a.m. - 3 p.m., Henderson Health Care Services, 1621 Front Street