MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Firework blamed for Superior house fire

(MGN)

A firework is to blame for a fire that left a Superior family homeless Saturday, according to the Superior Volunteer Fire chief.

Chief Todd Kroeger said his department was called to 520 North Converse Street at 5:50 p.m., when crews found an unattached garage already burned to the ground. Kroeger said a nearby power pole, car and home were all on fire.

He said neighbors had alerted the five people inside the house to the fire.


Kroeger said the heat and humidity added to the challenges at this difficult fire. He said departments from Nelson, Hardy, Byron and Guide Rock were called for mutual aid. It took them three hours and 10 minutes to get the flames under control, according to Kroeger.

An estimated $67,500 in damage was caused, but no injuries were reported.

Kroeger said a firework likely sparked the fire, with a gas can in the garage helping it spread.

He said it was amazing to see the community support, with people bringing water and sports drinks to firefighters.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending