KVFD gives tips on electrical fire hazards, how to spot potential issues

    KVFD gives tips on electrical fire hazards, how to spot potential issues (NTV News)

    Fire safety is an everyday concern and now that the chill is in the air some folks put themselves in greater risk while trying to keep warm.

    A curling iron you leave plugged in or that power strip you are overcrowding, these electrical hazards in the home or work place can spark a fire.

    Kearney Volunteer Fire Department captain, Jeremy Feusner, said most of the electrical fires they see are caused by extension cords and outlets.

    He said many people use extension cords that are too small for what they are plugging in.

    "A lot of people in their homes are trying to hide cords. They run a cord across the room and they put a piece of carpet over it. You continually walk over that piece of carpet and you're wearing down that insulation, which gives it a potential to break down and start a fire,” said Feusner.

    Feusner said KVFD will ask folks why they have so many extension and power cords and their response is because they only have one outlet.

    "Well there's a reason for that. That particular circuit was built for the one outlet and you either need to call a qualified electrical professional and install additional outlets so you don't have to run the extension cords or you need to look at some other alternatives,” said Feusner.

    Feusner said if you question any of your outlets or electrical wiring, you should have it checked by your landlord or a professional.

    "You could have the tinting or the discoloration of electrical outlets, or if you unplug something and the cord is hot, if you feel the electrical outlet and it's warmer than room temperature, you may have an issue and you probably should have it looked at,” said Feusner.

    Space heater season is among us and captain Jeremy Feusner said you should have a clear three-foot zone around them.

    "Especially the kid free zone. Not from a fire safety stand point but from a home safety stand point, if a child were able to fall into the heater they could burn themselves or knock it over,” said Feusner.

    Monday, October 8th begins Fire Prevention Week.

    Kearney Volunteer Fire Department will be at area schools and churches teaching students to look, listen and learn.

    News In Photos

      Loading ...